Call free:0800 1040401
Call free:0800 1040401
Find self storage near you in 2 minutes.
We here at Boxie24 Storage, want you to have the best experience possible when you store your things with us. It’s our job to keep your belongings safe and secure while they’re here, but there are things you can do, too, to ensure your items store well. We’ve provided the following self storage tips as a courtesy to help you pack and organize your possessions to best protect them and utilize the space you’ve rented.
Before you even begin packing, you must make some decisions about the storage unit you intend to rent. Consider the following factors to ensure you get the right storage unit for your needs.
Type – Are you storing personal or business-related items? Will you be storing any vehicles? Different types of belongings require different types of storage units.
Size – It’s important to be as accurate as possible about the amount of items you plan to store in order to avoid paying for space you don’t use. Further, you don’t want to underestimate either, because then you might have to move all of your things to another unit. Use our self storage space calculator to determine the amount of space you’ll need if you aren’t sure.
Climate controlled – Some possessions are susceptible to damage caused by high humidity or extreme temperatures. If you are storing things such as artwork, books, clothing, etc. consider opting for a climate-controlled unit.
Insurance – When you place your things in self storage, you are still responsible for their well-being. For this reason, you must show you have insurance to cover them or purchase self storage insurance when you rent the unit.
Most everyone thinks they know how to pack. You simply get some cardboard boxes from the nearest grocery store, put your things inside and tape them shut, right? Wrong! Check out the following self storage tips for proper packing to ensure you pack your things correctly so they withstand the transport to and from the facility, as well as their time in storage.
1. Use quality packing materials. Cardboard boxes and other packing materials degrade over time, so it’s important to choose quality materials in the beginning. You can purchase moving boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, moving blankets and other packing supplies from Boxie24, or you can acquire them on your own.
2. Use just one or two different sized boxes. To make organizing and stacking your boxes easier, use only one or two different sized boxes to pack your things. This ensures the boxes you stack on top of each other stay that way.
3. Pack heavy and light items together. To avoid making boxes too heavy to carry, pack a mixture of heavy and lightweight items in the boxes. For example, boxes packed with books can get very heavy very fast. Place a few books in the bottom of a box and then finish filling the box with lighter weight items.
4. Label each box carefully. There may come a time when you need to find a specific item in a specific box you’ve placed in storage. To make this task easier, be sure to label each box accurately with the contents inside.
To further make identifying boxes easier, you can label each box with the room in which its contents belong. This is especially helpful when moving from one place to another.
5. Avoid using plastic bags for packing. You might think you’re protecting your belongings by packing them in sealed plastic bags, but the reality is, you could be causing them damage. Humidity can get inside the bag and cause mildew, so forgo the plastic bags altogether.
6. Some possessions are prohibited in self storage. Be aware some items are not allowed in self storage. Some of these include:
Flammable liquids and fuels
The contract you enter into when you rent the unit will state exactly what possessions are not allowed to be stored.
At this stage in the self storage process, it’s vital that you take the time to organize your belongings properly . Not only will this ensure your belongings survive their stay in storage, but it also helps you save money in the long run. A well-organized small storage unit is cheaper than an unorganized bigger one. Keeping ease of access to your things in mind, use the following self storage tips for organization to pack your things correctly into your storage unit.
1. If possible, leave a walkway open between stacked boxes. This may not always be possible in smaller units, but for convenience, try leaving an aisle to walk through between the boxes you’ve stacked.
2. Load big items into the unit first.
3. Stack heavier boxes on the bottom. If you plan to stack your unit high with boxes, always place heavier ones on the bottom to avoid jeopardizing the integrity of the stacked boxes and damaging your belongings.
4. Plan ahead for access. If you know you’ll need to get at something often, store it near the front of the unit so you can get to it easily.
5. Make use of hollow spaces. Fill hollow spaces such as drawers, refrigerators, washing machines, etc. with small items and boxes in order to maximize your storage space.
6. Leave appliance doors open a crack. Crack open the doors on kitchen appliances to keep foul odors and/or mildew from becoming a problem. If the doors won’t stay open by themselves, prop them open with something.
We hope you find the above self storage tips helpful as you go about renting a storage unit and then packing your things and filling it up. If you need to store your things short or long-term, Boxie24 Storage has the right self storage solution for you. Contact us to speak with one of our storage professionals and reserve a storage unit today.