We want you to have the best experience possible when you rent a storage unit from us, so we put together the following list of storage tips to help you prepare your things properly and to utilize the space you rent more efficiently.
Best Self-Storage Tips: What to consider when renting a storage unit
Before packing begins, you must first rent a storage unit. While this sounds simple enough, there are several factors to consider when doing so. Once you’ve weighed your options and decided what kind of storage solution works for you, scroll down for storage tips around how to pack your items.
- Type: What kind of items do you need to store? Different things require different storage units. For instance, you will need a residential storage unit for household goods. However, if you’re looking to store important documents for your business, our archive storage units are best.
- Size: While most traditional storage providers offer just one size storage unit regardless of the size or amount of items you need to store, BOXIE24 Storage offers several sizes from which to choose. You never pay for more space than you need. If you are unsure which size unit works best for you, our storage space calculator can give you a good idea.
- Climate Control: Some items may be susceptible to extreme temperatures or humidity. Papers, artwork and other delicate medium can sustain damage over time when exposed to these types of elements. If you are storing anything you think might fall into this category, consider a climate controlled storage unit.
- Self Storage Insurance: The things you place in storage are still your responsibility. Should fire, flooding or some other unfortunate circumstance occur, you will need self storage insurance to recoup any losses.
Self-storage tips: How to pack
In theory, packing for moving and/or storage is easy. You get some cardboard boxes from a local store, fill them up, and tape them shut.
Unfortunately, packing without care can leave you with damaged belongings by the time they get to where they’re going.
Following the tips for proper packing below can help you avoid damage during transport and storage.
- Packing Materials: Since most packing materials break down over time, it’s important to use quality packing materials right from the start. BOXIE24 Storage has sturdy moving boxes for rent, as well as bubble wrap, packing tape and other quality moving supplies for your convenience.
- Boxes: Use just one or two different sized boxes to pack your things to make the most of the space you have. This allows for easy organization and stacking. Our moving boxes are designed to stack atop one another when full, and to nest inside one another when empty to save space.
- Consider Weight: It might be tempting to pack like items together, but boxes can get pretty heavy this way. For instance, packing a box full of nothing but books can make it almost impossible to lift. Instead, place a layer of books in the bottom of a box and fill the rest with lighter items to offset the weight.
- Labels: There will come a time when you need something specific from your storage unit. Labeling each box you pack accurately with its contents will make it much easier to find what you’re looking for.
- Plastic Bags: Never use plastic bags when packing your things for storage. While you may think you’re protecting your belongings, you’re actually creating the perfect environment for mold and mildew because humidity can find its way into the bag.
- Items not allowed in storage: Laws prohibit the storage of certain items. The list below contains some of the things you cannot store, but your rental contract will be more precise.
- Flammable liquids
- Live animals
- Toxic materials
As you go about renting a storage unit and packing your things, we hope the above tips serve you well. Whether you need individual self storage or business self storage, for either long or short-term, BOXIE24 Storage has options to suit your needs. Contact us to speak with a storage specialist who can answer all your questions and help you get the storage space you need today.