How to pack efficiently
You are going to move house. Obviously you want to do this efficiently and at the lowest possible costs, because after all, moving is expensive enough.
A good plan is half the battle. Therefore, consider renting durable moving boxes instead of buying cardboard moving boxes. The eco-friendly moving boxes will be delivered to you free of charge.
All you need to do is pack the moving boxes efficiently. Here are some useful tips to pack your moving boxes as efficiently as possible:
- Apart from sturdy moving boxes, make sure you have other packing materials at home, such as paper or newspapers, bubble wrap, kitchen foil, labels, sticky tape, and markers.
- Pack your belongings by room. This will keep things organised and easier to unpack.
Think ahead, because everything that gets packed needs to be unpacked:
- As you pack, do a big clean-up. This is a good opportunity to give away and/or sell old stuff.
- If you have different sizes of moving boxes, use the smaller boxes for the fragile items and don’t overload them.
- Seal the moving boxes tightly and label them. Write on each label what is in the moving box and in which room it should go. You can also use a colour system for the different rooms in the house. This way you can easily find them again later.
- Pack one moving box full with essential items. Things you will need immediately upon arrival in the new home, such as: toilet paper, washing-up liquid, lamps, music, as well as a coffee maker and a few mugs.
How to pack a moving box as efficiently as possible
- Wrap the heaviest items with moving paper or bubble wrap and put them at the bottom of the moving box.
- Pack lighter and smaller items on top of the heavier and larger items. For example, glass bowls at the bottom and wine glasses on top, or inside the bowls if possible. This saves space.
- Pack similar items together. Glass with glass, pots and pans together and books with books.
- Pack flat objects like picture frames or plates vertically. This way, you can fill the moving boxes completely across their width and they will not slide.
- Wrap fragile items individually in several layers of paper or foil. Also put a wad of paper in the glasses and cups. Don’t be too thrifty with paper when packing glasses and crockery. Wrap several individually wrapped plates together once more in paper and lean it against the side in the moving box.
Handy solutions and life hacks:
- Use sandwich bags for smaller items such as jewelry. Transparent bags let you easily see the contents.
- Put screws in a sandwich bag and tape them to the piece of furniture it belongs to. Roll up cables and tie them to the appliance they belong to.
- Number each moving box. This will ensure that you keep count and all your items arrive safely in your new house.
- Sign an internet contract for your new address before the move. This way you will immediately have internet and TV at your new address.